Sunday, March 27, 2016

He has Risen! And a little family history...

Easter is a lot of fun with a 5 year old.  There are Easter baskets, lots of colorful eggs, and tons of candy.  This year, we tried to downplay that a bit (okay, we didn't down play it too much!) and really focus on the real meaning of Easter.  That Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead.

We went to Easter service on Saturday night, and Mase chose to sit with us instead of going to his Sunday school class.  I must admit, at first I was a little disappointed, as I always feel he may be a distraction in church.  But, then, I look over and see Richard lifting him up and Mase clapping his hands to the music and my heart instantly flutters.  Seeing Mase worship, being held by Richard, is a great thing!  Plus, I must say, he was extremely well behaved during the entire service.  He must have knew the Easter bunny was watching.

Mase, age 5
Val, also shared a story of Easter when she was a little girl:
I woke up as I do every Easter thinking about going to sunrise service as a little girl.  It was always at my granny Baker's and Papa Baker's.  We called him Papa Gummy, not sure why?  Granny and Papa lived out on a 35 acre farm on Spring River, in a beautiful, old, 3 porch house.  There was a big red barn, a round, white, chicken house which we got to collect eggs with Granny there.  I really remember there were lots of spring flowers everywhere.  I know my granny must have planted all those tulips and spring flower bulbs at some point, but at the time, I thought they just all appeared.  Out in the field were 3 crosses.  And that's where the whole Quapaw Christian Church came for sunrise service.  It was usually a little cool out, but really magical as we saw the sun peering through the trees, rising in beautiful colors as the preacher told us the story of Jesus.  After that, all the men of the church cooked a big breakfast outside in iron skillets on a campfire: eggs, bacon, ham and of course Granny headed up the homemade biscuits and gravy and fried potatoes.  I can still smell the breakfast cooking.  And Granny and Pap with their gracious hearts serving their family and community.  What a great memory!
I love the way she still has this memory every Easter and I wanted to put it into writing, so that it stays in the family.

May we all celebrate because He has Risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment